Tuesday, October 12, 2010

A little wardrobe evidence for the skeptics ;)

My (Sarah Jane) sister and one of my brothers are very skeptical about me only getting my clothes at thrift stores. My sister even went so far as to say that she thinks thrift stores are dirty and that she usually never finds anything that's good quality, but only goes there for weird random vintagey (is that a word?) stuff. My brother didn't go so far as to say they were dirty, but he said that he could never find anything he really needed, just cool but not necessarily essential stuff. Well my dear siblings, this post is for you, and for anyone else out there who thinks thrift stores only have old worn-out junk. I am going to just list a bunch of pictures and descriptions of clothes that I have found in my local thrifty haunts solely in the last 2 months that are really nice quality and very useful for everyday wear. The most ironic thing about this whole experiment is that my wardrobe has actually drastically improved since starting it. Isn't that hilarious? So, here are some of the nifty things which now hang in my closet. The best part is, the very most I paid for any single piece, ladies and gentlemen, was only $4.00.




I got both of these at Salvation Army, they were super cute, in perfect condition and match really well. The shirt is Express Design and was $2.50, and the buttons are red crystal. The skirt is Basil and Maude and was $1.75. As soon as I find one of those plastic mannequins I will buy it to show my finds off better!



I am really proud of this little piece. I found it at GoodWill for $3.49. It was so cute with the stripes down the sides and so soft and comfortable! It's 100% knit cotton and I fell in love. It had a bunch of stains on the front- looked like strawberry ice cream or something, but with a little soak in OxyClean and a quick wash it is now flawless, as you can see!


This shirt is Old Navy and had a really cute back, and since I do feel like this about my sweet husband, I bought it :) It was $3.49 at GoodWill.
 

I was looking for a cute black skirt and boy did I find a sweet deal! This is Gap and wool and I only paid $2.49 for it at GoodWill. It's in perfect condition, there might be some fuzz on it in the picture though, and the color is darker in real life.
 This blue wool sweater is Abercrombie and Fitch brand and is wonderfully warm and cozy. I paid $4.00 for it at GoodWill. The dark chocolate skirt is Isaac Mizrahi for Target, and it was $1.50 at Salvation Army. It's made from kinda thick fabric, and I think with tights and Ugg boots it's a stylish winter combo, personally.

This is a Forever 21 Asian Kimono-style wide-armed wrap-around shirt. It was $1.99 at Community Aid.

This skirt is Ash and Sara, and was $2.00 at Mission Mart. I loved the detailed beading and overall flowiness.

These Ann Taylor Loft pants are soooo comfortable, but they are deceptively tailored to be worn with either dressy or casual tops and shoes. My hubby even said they were sexy! They are on my top 5 list of favorite clothes. Got them at Salvation Army for $1.99.
Okay, so let's tally up the total: $25.20 (not including tax) for 3 shirts, 2 sweaters, 3 skirts and 1 pair of pants. Even if you shop sale at Old Navy right after Christmas you're not going to get such a huge amount of clothing for so little a price. Is anyone convinced yet? Oh and by the way, none of this stuff was even ripped or stained or looked very worn at all but the Gap sweater, which was easy to remedy. I have loads more stuff to post, but I just wanted to show off a few of my findings. I have to admit, doing this thrift store diet is really really fun!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome thrifting! Love the kimono style shirt!!

    And as for skeptics, the women of my family have been buying our clothes primarily at the thrift store for several years. I'm a very practical dresser myself, usually just jeans and a blouse or a black skirt and blouse. But my sisters are just INSANELY stylish. The gorgeous things they find blow me away!

    ReplyDelete